Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strawberries....and more strawberries!

Every year my mom, brother, and I go strawberry picking at a local strawberry patch. Freshly picked strawberries taste soooooo much better than the store bought ones. Yesterday was a great day to go picking. Unfortunately, we went a little overboard! We picked a total of 11 buckets of strawberries! After we got all of them home, it sunk in. What in the world were we going to do with all of them!!!


So we got to work cutting them so they wouldn't get smushy in the heat. My mom made some strawberry pies.

And I worked on making strawberry freezer jam.

I still have a few more batches to make. We have a huge bowl filled to the brim with sliced strawberries just to eat by themselves or with shortcake. We gave some to my grandma and my brother went around the neighborhood giving them away. But still, we had some left! We concluded that next year we are not going to pick this many!

2 comments:

Barb said...

Thank you for sharing your strawberries, I have 3 batches of freezer jam, a huge plastic container sliced and ready to eat in the frig. and 8 pints in the freezer sliced and ready to thaw and enjoy this winter! Thank you for sharing, your blog entry looks wonderful with all of your berries! Grandpa is enjoying his strawberry pie ☺ !! Luv you lots,Grandma

Laurie said...

Mickey...everything looks SUPER! From the quilt to the strawberries! I hope to see you in July!
Laurie