Friday, March 21, 2008

What a Day

Today I went over to my grandma's house to work on my current project. I am making a raffle quilt for a fall festival. A few years ago, one of my classmates died of cancer. Now, every year her parents arrange a fall festival to raise money for many cancer societies. This year I am making a full sized quilt to raffle off. Along with a full sized quilt comes alot of work. Repeating the same kind of block over and over again tends to get a little boring. I have created an esembly line or an order in which I put the blocks together.

First I lay the block out so I don't get the squares mixed up and get some funky looking type of leaf. (which I have already done)

Then, I sew all the squares together.

Then lastly, I press all the seams open.

When you keep on repeating this process over and again it gets boring. But the boring part will soon be over. I'll soon be able to put all my blocks together to make the quilt top.

Then, near the time when I was going to go home, I was not paying attention to what I was doing, and I heard this huge CLUNK!!!! I looked down and saw that I had just sewn through my finger. Yes the needle actually did go through one side and came out the other. Boy am I glad my grandma was there.

She said, "What was that?!"

Then I said, " Ummm... Grandma I just sewed through my finger."

And then she proceded to get the needle out of the machine and out of my finger. The needle had actually twisted and broken. She finally was able to get it out and we soaked it in peroxide. Thankfully I had just changed the needle when I started so it was mostly clean. So now I have a pierced finger. All I have to say is that I'm glad my grandma was there because if she wouldn't have been I don't know what I would have done.(Luv ya Grandma).


Now it is a little sore but I'll live. I'm going back tomorrow, sore finger or not. I am not going to let it get in my way. :)

2 comments:

Barb said...

Luv you Mickey, you are just the bravest kid I know! The needle was able to be removed BECAUSE you did everything just right to allow me to do it!! Great tutorial on doing your blocks ~ that quilt will be together in quick fashion! The boring part will soon be over ;>)!! Luv ya lots!

Rose said...

Mickey, oh, I am going to love reading your blog. I LOVE what you are doing with your raffle quilt and can't wait to see the finished product. I also looked at your other posts and love those quilts.

Batiks are one of my favorite fabrics, also. I have a collection of them and so far haven't had the courage to cut into them--I keep waiting for just the right pattern to catch my eye.